The History of Macclesfield Male Voice Choir
The choir began its career in 1955 as the Choral Union of St. Paul’s Church, Macclesfield, Cheshire under their choir master Percy
Broadhurst. When Alf Hyde took over in 1959, membership was increased by the inclusion of outside members and so became the Macclesfield Male Voice Choir in 1961, with Mrs Lily Davenport J.P., O.B.E.
as President. In 1987 Roy Cumberlidge was appointed Musical Director of the choir but retired as Musical Director in 1997. In September of that year
the choir was lucky enough to acquire the services of the vastly experienced Alan Herbert, thirty-five years a choral conductor including fourteen years directing Male Voice Choirs. Alan demanded the
highest standards and under his inspirational leadership the choir began to perform from memory – no music allowed on stage! He also arranged some pieces for the choir; arrangements we still use
today. Choir tours were initiated and we participated in more fundraising Massed Male Voice Choir events at the Bridgwater Hall, the MEN arena and Winter Gardens Blackpool
Following an invitation from Lon Dhoo Male Voice Choir (Isle of Man) in 2000, the Choir were guests at two concerts during the late Spring Bank Holiday. The time spent in the Isle of Man with their friends from Lon Dhoo Male Voice Choir was a wonderful trip with many happy memories of a beautiful country, its warm and friendly folk, stunning views, great comradeship and happy times together which will remain in the choir's memories forever. In 2001, the Choir returned from a concert tour of Canada, a joint venture again with Lon Dhoo Male Voice Choir, after giving concerts in Toronto, Niagara, Kingston and London.
The Choir toured Ireland in 2004 again with their good friends from the Isle of Man, The Lon Dhoo Choir. Having spent 3 nights in Dublin, 3 in Galway and 3 in Cork they sang at Loughrea, Dun Laoghaire and Navan and whilst in Navan were called upon to sing during the special tree planting celebrations. The two choirs thoroughly enjoyed the trip and the Irish people would like them to return to perform again.
David Court was appointed Musical Director in 2005 and was assisted by Mrs Pauline Davies who was the Associate Musical Director until the family moved south in 2013.
The Prague Advent Contest was another proud moment for the Choir when they were awarded a bronze award by the judges in competition with choirs from across the world.
The Choir was invited to sing at the Royal Albert Hall in 2009 at the Festival of Brass and Voices, a concert featuring over 1000 voices , under the musical directorship of the great William Relton, to raise money for Cancer Research.
A visit to Macclesfield’s twin town of Eckenforde in Germany in 2010 was another successful tour, singing in three concerts in Germany and one in Denmark. Their rendition of “Let there be Peace on Earth” in the underground chamber of the “Laboe Peace Monument” was an extremely emotion experience and will always be remembered by those present.
In 2014 the Choir was invited to represent England at the “Voices of the Commonwealth Concert” in Glasgow (a precursor to the Commonwealth Games). This took place in The Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow with an audience of over 6000 people. Our Choir sang two solo items before joining the massed Choirs for the rest of the concert. Their performance of “The African Prayer” received a standing ovation from a very appreciative audience.
The Choir was delighted to perform with Russell Watson in June 2015 at Gawsworth Hall, a most delightful setting for an open air concert. This highly successful evening gave the Choir exposure to a very different audience and hopefully could lead to further engagements in the future.
Your visit is most Welcome
The Choir was formed 64 years ago and now numbers around 60 choristers.
We perform concerts locally and further afield including several overseas trips.
New members are always welcome
We rehearse for two hours every Monday and Wednesday evenings. Please feel free to join us for a rehearsal or contact our Secretary on:
01625 429403 or e-mail
Registered Charity number 1051597